We Belong Together (WBT) is a national, women-led and women-centered campaign to win humane immigration policies that will keep families together and empower women. Since our launch in 2010, the campaign has successfully injected a gender analysis into the immigrant rights field and an immigration analysis into work around women’s issues. In the process, We Belong Together has become the leading grassroots voice of women in ongoing debates over immigration and enforcement policy.
We Belong Together is led by the National Domestic Workers Alliance (NDWA). WBT is currently staffed by individuals with organizing, policy and campaign expertise. In the months ahead, We Belong Together will be collaborating more closely with NDWA’s anti-trafficking campaign, Beyond Survival. Beyond Survival seeks to lift up the voices and leadership of domestic workers who have survived human trafficking and broaden the conversation on trafficking.
WBT seeks a Policy Counsel to advance its immigration and anti-trafficking policy work. This position is based in Washington, DC.
- Identify, develop and implement legislative and administrative strategies at the federal level with a concentration on lifting up the needs of immigrant women and families.
- Identify and seize opportunities for WBT to influence legislation and policy at the federal level.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key policymakers.
- Provide policy support and campaign expertise to the local and state immigration campaigns led by WBT affiliates.
- Engage NDWA’s affiliate organizations with a demonstrated interest in anti-trafficking policy and coordinate federal advocacy.
- Conduct policy and legal research. Draft legislative testimony, regulatory comments, public statements and model/template comments.
- Monitor and respond to developing immigration and trafficking issues in proposed federal legislation or agency activities related to immigration and trafficking.
- Participate and assume strategic leadership roles in national coalitions, partnerships and other collaborative efforts.
- Work collaboratively with NDWA team to advance WBT’s policy agenda.
- Work collaboratively with WBT’s communications, organizing and policy staff to respond to public debate and climate around immigration and trafficking and advance WBT’s agenda.
- Serve as an expert and spokesperson on immigration and anti-trafficking policy.
- Other duties as requested by WBT’s Campaign Director.
- Juris Doctor and 2-4 years of experience in policy reform and advocacy at the federal, state or local level in immigration policy. Familiarity with anti-trafficking policy.
- Excellent research, writing and public speaking skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to migrant justice, racial justice, gender equity and worker rights.
- Experience working with impacted community members and grassroots organizations.
- A demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong relationships and partnerships with coalitions, policy makers and community members.
- Ability to think and plan strategically, to juggle multiple tasks and responsibilities, to both lead and work collaboratively with a team.
- Spanish/English bilingual preferred.
Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQ people strongly urged to apply. Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com. Please include a daytime phone number where we can contact you. This position will remain open until filled.