The National Domestic Workers Alliance (www.domesticworkers.org) organizes domestic workers in the United States for respect, recognition and labor standards. Through leadership development, strategic campaigns and alliance building, we seek to help build a powerful movement for social and global justice. The Alliance formed in 2007 at the US Social Forum and currently represents 60 affiliated organizations in 36 cities and 17 states nationally. NDWA has experienced immense financial growth and currently operates with a $14 million budget. We are seeking a Staff Accountant to execute accounting tasks for NDWA and its affiliated 501(c)4 and LLC.
The Staff Accountant is a valuable part of NDWA’s Finance and Accounting Team and is primarily responsible for supporting the Controller in the daily execution of day-to-day accounting tasks and responsibilities including accounts payable, accounts receivable, expense reimbursement and creating journal entries for NDWA and its affiliated 501(c)4 and LLC. In addition, the Staff Accountant will prepare invoices, collaborate with the Operations and Development departments to resolve discrepancies and act as liaison with banking personnel. The ideal candidate has experience using QuickBooks Online for Nonprofits and Financial Edge, is highly detail oriented and well-organized, and must have the ability work both independently and collaboratively in a team.
- Create pledges for grants and maintain grants schedule with Development staff
- Process deposits and cash receipts from checks, WePay, Stripe, Action Network and Square
- Update daily bank activity to Accounting Software
- Maintain deposit spreadsheet and share with Development Staff
- Update Budget with Cash Flow report for all cash received monthly
- Reconcile prepaid Canadian payroll account quarterly
- Liaison with internal and external stakeholders
- Reviews, investigates, and corrects errors and inconsistencies in financial entries
- Prepares journal entries for review by Controller
- Participates in preparation of internal and external audit materials
- Assists Controller with special projects and other ad hoc activities
- Participates in regular organizational meetings and other events as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred with solid working experience in all aspects of bookkeeping.
- 3+ years bookkeeping/accounting experience.
- Solid grasp on basic accounting protocols and debits and credits; non-profit experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and prioritize effectively with the ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Exceptional attention to detail and high standards for accuracy in data entry and reporting.
- High level of professionalism, discretion, integrity, patience, and excellent work ethic.
- General agreement with NDWA’s vision and mission, and social change and non-profit experience preferred.
- Literate in QuickBooks Online, Financial Edge, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), Google Apps Technology, the Internet, and comfortable learning new technologies.
- Spanish fluency a plus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday. Some night and weekend work may be required with notice.
Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQ people strongly urged to apply. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and professional writing sample (emails and memos are ok) via BambooHR. Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please include a daytime phone number where we can contact you. This position will remain open until filled.