Caring Across Generations is a national campaign that brings together all people touched by care — family caregivers, care workers, older adults, and people with disabilities — to transform the way we care in this country, and to create an inclusive society that helps all of us reach our full potential, live well, and age with dignity. Founded in 2011 by worker activists Sarita Gupta and Ai-jen Poo, the campaign has driven care wins in Hawaii and Washington state, as well as working with partners on the federal level to drive national policy, and implementing culture change strategies in the entertainment industry to shape how our society sees care on a broader level.
This year and into 2020, Caring Across is entering our ambitious next phase: launching a national campaign for Universal Family Care (UFC), a new framework to cover care at every stage of life. In the election cycle and beyond, care has been entering the public discourse as an issue that affects all of us, and needs a public solution. While universal child care, expanded paid leave, and long-term care supports as part of Medicare for All have all been floated by presidential candidates and championed in congress, UFC is a holistic, comprehensive solution that responds to the interconnected nature of all care needs that families face. Everyone contributes and everyone benefits to receive access to benefits ranging from childcare to paid family and medical leave, to elder care to supports for people with disabilities, all through one easily navigable, financially stable system. UFC is forward-looking, rooted in smart economics and common sense, and fundamentally committed to advancing gender, racial, and economic justice.
Caring Across Generations is a project of, and fiscally sponsored by, Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice. Bend the Arc offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental and vision benefits fully paid for by Bend the Arc for individual coverage and generous employer contribution of 80% toward monthly premiums for dependent and family coverage;
- Long and short term disability benefits fully paid for by Bend the Arc;
- 401K with employer contribution of 2% after your first year;
- Paid time off including:
- 15 vacation days during your first three years with an increase to 20 vacation days in your fourth year
- 12 sick days per year
- 23 paid holidays each year
- Generous Caregiving / Personal Leave of Absence policy with a Paid Leave Benefit that covers 3 weeks of paid leave for each year of employment, up to 12 paid weeks after four years on staff
- Adoption Assistance Program providing reimbursement of up to $1,500 for qualified adoption expenses;
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account;
- Flexible Spending Account or Health Savings Account for eligible health related expenses;
- Commuter Benefits;
- Employee Assistance Program;
- Life Insurance fully paid for by Bend the Arc;
- And more!