Skills and Experience We’re After
- Bilingual in Spanish and English with experience writing for publication in Spanish
- Journalism experience in digital media environment. You’ve previously written news stories for other digital media companies and you know how to efficiently research and write high-quality news stories with a journalistic tone.
- Strong virtual communication. You have availability to communicate with our staff as needed via email and Slack and participate in pre-arranged phone or video meetings each week (Monday through Friday, during normal business hours).
- Understanding of issues facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, and other communities of color
- Commitment to social justice. You have demonstrated a commitment to social justice and progressive social change through your community experience, work positions, or volunteer roles, and you want to be part of a team of people who share this commitment.
Nice to Have
- Experience producing news in a video format
This is a part-time, 2-month contract role with the potential to renew. The following rates apply:
- $.40/word: Pitching, researching, writing, and editing 5-15 original news articles per week with a journalistic tone and style (with open-source images included in each article)
- $30 per hour: Completing other writing projects
- $30 per hour: Participating in pre-arranged phone or video meetings each week
NDWA Labs is the innovation arm of the National Domestic Workers Alliance, one of the country’s leading progressive social movement organizations. At NDWA Labs, we’re building products that transform domestic work jobs into good jobs by bringing respect, living wages, and benefits to an invisible, undervalued, and vulnerable part of the economy. Rather than optimizing within the status quo, NDWA Labs leverages tech to disrupt power and fundamentally change the ways in which work is organized and paid, for the millions of women and immigrants in the domestic work industry.
Our first product, Alia Benefits, helps workers set up a safety net that stays with them, even if they switch jobs. In 2020 we partnered with Google.org to take Alia a step further to directly help those most impacted by COVID-19. Our La Alianza chatbot is a groundbreaking research tool, paving the way for inclusive economic indicators, as well as a popular media offering and promising benefits distribution tool.
This is a unique opportunity to leverage technology for good and create meaningful and lasting change in the lives of some of the most vulnerable workers in the country, many of whom are immigrant women of color. Due to the COVID crisis, there is a surge of interest in models that expand the safety net to ensure a fair future of work for everyone. You will be a leader within a team that reinvents and expands the safety net to millions of workers who have never had access to one.
You can read more about the Alianza chatbot’s research in Bloomberg News and Telemundo; about Alia in Fast Company and NPR; and more about the domestic worker movement in the New York Times.